Too many SMEs are using marketing techniques that are no longer effective in the modern marketplace. Here are some tips for keeping your marketing plan up to date.
Speaking on the My Business Podcast, Sascha Moore – founder of Create Design & Marketing – says many business owners get stuck with marketing because of their industry competitors, as well as relying too heavily on techniques they have used in the past.
“I find that people very much get caught in what's worked for them, but that might have worked five years ago, that might have worked 10 years ago, it might have worked a year ago. Once people find something that works, it's understandable to actually keep doing that,” Sascha explains.
“But what that alienates is the other elements that can work to make that better, or whether maybe that works in some scenarios and not as a blanket approach.”
According to Sascha, another trap many business owners fall into is copying the marketing techniques of their competitors, but trying to “do the same thing but just better”.
“But ‘just better’ can mean a lot of different things,” she says.
Get back to marketing basics
Sascha says there are simple ways to work out how you can market your business more effectively:
• Establish your point of difference from your competitors.
• Properly understand your customer: who are they? What are their expectations? What challenges do they face? How can you help them?
• Understand that marketing is about changing your messaging, not changing your product or service.
• Establish a short, simple and well-defined marketing plan.
• Regularly update that marketing plan as things change – don’t make it a lengthy dossier that hides in a drawer somewhere.
Originally published at www.mybusiness.com.au, 12 September 2016. Author: Adam Zuchetti.